rpm and platform detection

rpm 4.10.3.1 built from source, no patches

Platform is Linux From Scratch 7.3 - after building LFS (twice, built it
originally in F18 and rebuilt it in LFS) all I built was the libraries
needed to build RPM so it is a fairly bare system.

RPM compiles but during configure, the platform is not detected:

checking build system type... x86_64-pc-none
checking host system type... x86_64-pc-none
checking for LUA... yes
checking for getpassphrase... no
*** no default provides information is available for none
*** no default requires information is available for none
checking for autom4te... /usr/bin/autom4te
checking that generated files are newer than configure... done
configure: creating ./config.status

It compiles and installs but creates /usr/lib/rpm/platform/{arch}-none
instead of -linux

If anyone knows what I'm missing, I'd love to know.

However RPM itself knows I'm linux because when building a spec file, it
looks for /usr/lib/rpm/platform/x86_64-linux and since it doesn't exist,
%{_arch} does not expand. I know because I copied the -none to -linux
and then %{_arch} did expand.

So that seems like a bug, if configure causes %{_arch}-none platform
macros to be created then RPM should look for %{_arch}-none platform
macros, no?

Anyway, if anyone knows what part of my tool chain is lacking resulting
in configure not detecting that I'm linux, I would very much appreciate
it.

If attachments are allowed on the list, I can attach the output of
configure.

Thanks,

Alice