Re: YUM, or RPM package command to update desktop menu

On 12/08/2012 07:53 AM, jupiter wrote:
Hi,

Sorry for an off topic subject, I installed an rpm package on CentOS
6.2, which requires some configuration before all items on the menu
can be seen. After configuration, if I install another package, or if
I reboot the machine, the desktop menu item would be refreshed. Is
there any command in yum or rpm which can be called to update the
desktop menu without installing another package or rebooting machine?

Rpm and yum dont know anything about desktop menus and the like, its up to individual packages to perform the tasks they need to become usable in their scriptlets (%post etc).

Refreshing the desktop menus typically involves invoking some commands to refresh related caches. I dont recall whether this applies to Centos 6.x but at least in recent Fedora versions it's typically 'update-desktop-database' for the menus and 'gtk-update-icon-cache' if the package adds icons. The other package whose installation makes your menu item appear is doing these things, check out its scripts to see what exactly its doing.

	- Panu -