Re: Problem with %attr/%defattr

On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 2:41 PM, Amol Kulkarni <amolk112k@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dear All,

I had built some RPMs for our product on RHEL4  ( rpm ver= rpm-4.3.3-26 ). Now I'm migrating these rpms to RHEL6 ( rpm ver = rpm-4.8.0-16 ).

One of the rpms has files owned by different users.

Eg. In qmail queue, "queue/remote" folder is owned by "qmails" user while "queue/todo" folder is owned by "qmailq" user.

The qmail makefile creates the files with appropriate permissions and ownerships. There is no code to set the permissions/ownership in spec file.

In RHEL4, rpm was automatically taking the file permissions set on the files during the build/compile phase. But in RHEL6, it is changing the ownership to root.root.

My files section is :

%files
/var/qmail/bin
/var/qmail/boot
%config(noreplace) /var/qmail/control
/var/qmail/doc
/var/qmail/log
/var/qmail/man
%config(noreplace) /var/qmail/queue
/var/qmail/users
/var/qmail/rc

After searching the net, I tried using %defattr(-,-,-,-) macro at global level and the %attr(-,-,-) macro per entry in the %files section. But to no avail.

Can anybody point me in the right direction ?

Thanks for all the help in advance.
In rpm 4.4 (Oct 31 2004) was introduced the "add default %defattr(-,root,root) for all packages". So the "problem" is not only in RHEL6 but also RHEL5 for example.

IIUC you're basing your spec on  a behavior later deemed incorrect. My advice, as already mentioned, is to use multiple %attr or use, if you have many file, multiple %defattr with the right perms and ownership.

hth

Amol.