Re: rpmspec provides not showing package itself

On 10/06/2011 03:38 AM, Alfred Landrum wrote:

I'm working on a system to build rpms from many potential srpms and spec
files, so the rpmspec utility looks like it should be very useful to
calculate build dependencies. However, I find it curious that it doesn't
report a 'provides' entry for the package itself:

[alfred@alfred-f15 ~]$ rpmspec --version
RPM version 4.9.1.1

[alfred@alfred-f15 ~]$ rpmspec -q --provides --srpm work/specs/m4.spec
[alfred@alfred-f15 ~]$

If built, the rpm reports itself as a provided capability:

[alfred@main-sh270:/work/alfred]$ rpm -qp --provides
rpmbuild/RPMS/x86_64/m4-1.4.13-5.el6.x86_64.rpm
m4 = 1.4.13-5.el6
m4(x86-64) = 1.4.13-5.el6

I realize I can use the --queryformat option to build out the envr string,
but just thought it surprising that that wasn't part of the listed
provides.  Plus, I'm trying to use some of the innards of yum, and not
having the provide string is tripping that up.

Thanks for any pointers/advice; I'm new to working with rpm.

Right, many things (including the implicit self-provides) are added to the headers late in the process of building, not while parsing. In some cases there's a reason for it, but I don't see why the self-provides couldn't be added during parsing. Thanks for pointing out the issue, fixed upstream now:

[pmatilai@localhost rpm]$ ./rpmspec -q --provides ~/dist/m4/m4.spec
m4 = 1.4.16-2.fc15
m4(x86-64) = 1.4.16-2.fc15
m4-debuginfo = 1.4.16-2.fc15