Re: how do you "fall back" to a previous file in a previous package

rpm-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 03/01/2011 02:39:37 PM:

> i am just getting in to the process of redefining our build /
> packaging environment to support rpm distribution.  to date - we
> have adopted an approach where by we distribute a .tar file and
> simply over-lay the files system.
>
> i have been reading the documentation mentioned on the list in a
> prior post - but have a specific question:
>
> example use case:
>
> 1) package pwel-ejb-1.0.0.0.rpm contains, one jar file named PWEL-
> EJB.jar.  the rpm installs the jar file to
$JBOSS_HOME/server/default/deploy/.

> 2) package pwel-ejb-2.0.0.0.rpm contains one jar file named PWEL-
> EJB.jar.  the rpm installs the jar file to $JBOSS_HOME/server/
> default/deploy/ in effect over-laying the jar file from package
> pwel-ejb-1.0.0.0.rpm.
>
> what is the best practice or approach to employ if i want to
> UNINSTALL the jar file from package pwel-ejb-2.0.0.0.rpm and "fall
> back" to using the jar file installed from package pwel-ejb-1.0.0.0.rpm?

I believe that if you just need to go back to the old package you can do
this:

rpm -Uvh --oldpackage pwel-ejb-1.0.0.0.rpm

I believe yum has some rollback features in it now as well, depending on
your distributions.

-greg