Re: How to load Linux from GRUB?

   If you cannot boot into Linux, use the installation CD#1 and type
"linux rescue" at the boot: prompt.  Let it "Continue", or "skip" and make
it mount your partitions in /mnt/sysimage.  You will then be in a type of
Linux from which you can use "ls" and other commands to see how much of
your own Linux system is still left.  You can, for example, try to find
what partition, if any, has vmlinuz, and change /boot/grub/grub.conf
accordingly.  If enough of your system is still present, you can "chroot
/mnt/sysimage" to make your computer use your own disk for its software.
   Another rescue technique is to boot with a floppy of tomsrtbt from
http://www.toms.net/rb/ .  Like CD#1, it provides you with enough of
Linux to let you use most important UNIX commands.

Steven Yellin