Re: New users without home directories w/LDAP...

Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

"PY" == Paul Yoshimune <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

PY> I'm trying to track down what process/script is actually doing the PY> work here, so I can replicate the functionality on the other PY> machines. Ideas?

Perhaps it's pam_mkhomedir?  From /usr/share/doc/pam-*/html/pam.html:

6.15 Create home directories on initial login

 Synopsis

  Module Name:
          pam_mkhomedir
  Author:
          Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  Maintainer:
          Ben Collins <bcollins@xxxxxxxxxx>
Overview of module
  Creates home directories on the fly for authenticated users.
 Session component
  Recognized arguments:
          debug; skel=skeleton-dir; umask=octal-umask;
          This module is useful for distributed systems where the
          user account is managed in a central database (such as NIS,
          NIS+, or LDAP) and accessed through miltiple systems. It
          frees the administrator from having to create a default
          home directory on each of the systems by creating it upon
          the first succesfully authenticated login of that user. The
          skeleton directory (usually /etc/skel/) is used to copy
          default files and also set's a umask for the creation.
          The behavior of this module can be modified with one of the following flags:
             * skel - The skeleton directory for default files to
               copy to the new home directory.
             * umask - An octal for of the same format as you would
               pass to the shells umask command.
  Examples/suggested usage:
          session required pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel/ umask=0022

- J<

Jason:

Thank you, that was it exactly! I got buggered a bit because sshd wasn't authenticating properly, but that wasn't a PAM issue. Had to turn off UsePrivilegeSeparation in sshd_config, then things worked as expected. Also added pam_mkhomedir to gdm, and now I think all the bases are covered. Thanks again...

-- Paul H. Yoshimune paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx