Re: Re. Re: Re: DNS lookup failure on Linksys router

    You wrote that your router "does act as DNS for my Windows machines."
But it's possible that your router doesn't have the ability to store
name-IP resolution tables on its own, but instead, as a DHCP client to
Verizon, obtains the IP of the service provider's nameserver, and simply
relays to that IP requests the internal network sends to the router.  Did
you actually produce a name resolution table inside the router?  Or are
the tables only inside your Windows machines? For example, under
NT/2000/XP, %SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers\ETC\HOSTS may contain the
IP/name pairs for phoenix1 and phoenix2, in which case the Windows
NT/2000/XP machine would not need corresponding information inside the
router.  But if your router really does have an internal DNS, then your
question "If the router serves as DNS to Windows, why not Linux?" is a
legitimate one for which I don't know the answer.

Steven Yellin