Re: yum repositories

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 02:46:58PM -0500, bbales wrote:

> I seem to be able to find lots of repositories for fedora files, but can't
> find any for RH-9.  Can I use a fedora repository with RH 9?  If not, where
> are the RH 9 repositories?

   Packages built for Fedora Core 1 _MIGHT_ work on RHL9, but it's not
likely.  It wouldn't be surprising if one could easily rebuild FC1
SRPMs on RHL9, though.
   Most of the pre-packaged repositories are moving away from RHL to
concentrate on FC1 & 2.  It looks like at least fedora.us, NewRPMS,
and Dag are still building some packages for older releases.  Try
these for starters:

http://www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraChannels
http://newrpms.sunsite.dk/index.php?section=4
http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/FAQ.php#B

   Each page has instructions for adding their repositories to apt,
yum, etc.

> Now that gimp release 2.0 is out, how long should I expect to wait
> for it to appear as an rpm?

   I haven't seen one for RHL9, but I haven't really looked.  Again,
a SRPM intended for FC1 might build (relatively) easily on older
releases.

--
Matt Brodeur                                                            RHCE
MBrodeur@xxxxxxxxxxxx                                http://www.NextTime.com

- From an IBM maintenance manual (1925): "By all means, do not use a hammer."