Re: Netatalk VFAT write permission weirdness

On Sat, 2003-07-26 at 17:46, Andrew Robinson wrote:
> I've got a VFAT partition mounted with umask=000. I'm sharing that
> partition with netatalk to a Mac client running Mac OS 9.04. I find I
> can save some files with some applications on the partition, but I
> cannot save other files from other applications. Specifically, I cannot
> save a tif or jpg file with Photoshop Elements, Color It!, or
> PhotoStudio Lite. With Photoshop Elements, I get the error message:
>
> Could not save "test1.tif" because write access was not granted.
>
> The error messages in the other two programs are not so explanatory, but
> suggest an I/O problem. However, I can create text files on the
> partition with BBEdit Lite. In fact, I saved the above error message
> with BBEdit in the same directory as the image files.
>
> Can someone explain what the heck is going on here?
---
I can't explain it - IIRC unix permissions are pretty much meaningless
on VFAT partitions - this may have something to do with it.

Suggest that you create a netatalk/samba share on an ext2/ext3
filesystem - set the permissions for the user and/or group for that
location and if you encounter the same problem, try saving it to this
other Appleshare/SMB Share volume and see if that helps/tells you
something about filesystem differences.

Also suggest that if you want deeper consideration, you consider showing
how the VFAT is mounted in /etc/fstab, what user is logging in via
Samba/Netatalk, perhaps some snippets of logs, upping the 'log level'
because it probably will tell you what the problem is.

Craig