Re: Netatalk on RH9

On Fri, 2003-07-25 at 16:51, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 12:49:34PM -0500, Andrew Robinson wrote:
> > I would like to set up netatalk on my RH9 installation for my home network.
> > Andrew Robinson

> I don't know what you want to do with netatalk. File sharing works
> pretty much as installed. If you want to print to an appletalk printer
> things get more complicated.
> What do you want to do?

Fair question. I want to be able to share disk partitions on the Linux
server with the Mac clients. Also, I have an Epson Stylus Photo printer
attached to the Linux box that I would like to be able to print to from
the Mac clients.

Thanks to Craig and some poking around, I added the mount points to the
/etc/atalk/AppleVolumes.default file and then I was able to see them on
the Mac clients. I cannot save files on them from the Mac clients at the
moment. I assume this is a problem with ownership, permissions and
mounts on the Linux side. I'll try to unravel that next. I'll probably
be posting a couple of more questions during that process.

On the netatalk site at Source Forge, I found an example of an entry to
the papd.conf file for a printer defined in CUPS. That seems to have
worked, at least for basic printing from the Mac clients. I had never
tried to use a remote printer on a Mac before. I set it up as a
Laserwriter and I was able to print a text file and an image from the
Mac. I suspose I will not be able to access the special features of the
Stylus Photo printer. I wonder if there is a way to use a driver from a
later Stylus Photo printer that has network capabilities on the Mac side
to get to the printer features? The printer colors are horrendous on the
Linux side, but that too is a different problem than netatalk that will
have to be tackled later.

In summary,I've got the basic functionality I was looking for with
netatalk. I've got several problems remaining that are probably not
directly related to netatalk, but do affect my use of netatalk.

Thanks for the help!

Andrew Robinson