How to statically assign eth devices?

Is there a way to assign a specific module to eth devices in the ip link
table?  On my laptop, something is calling "ip link" or its equivalent
when the busses are scanned for my wireless card (pcmcia) and docking
station ethernet (PCI).  The problem is that when I boot docked the PCI
buss is scanned first so the ethernet driver gets assigned eth0, while
when booted standalone the wireless gets eth0 because there's no PCI
buss.  RedHat's network package requires device aliases in
/etc/modules.conf, so half the time networking fails due to mismatched
cards and devices.

I've hacked this by rmmod'ing both drivers after buss scanning and
before pcmcia is loaded, so that ifup reloads them in the right order.
Is there a better way to enforce which card/driver gets assigned to
eth0?  Perhaps a way to suppress a module from being loaded when its bus
is being scanned?  Or a way for network drivers to not be installed in
the ip link table when loaded?

Tom