Re: Conflicts between up2date and red-carpet on RHL9/XD2

You should read release notes for, say, latest Red Hat beta, Severn.

There, as in release notes of previous Red Hat products, clearly says
that there's existing overlaping issue between Ximian Desktop and Red
Hat official packages, hence Ximian packages are not supported by Red
Hat.

You should choose between these two. If you want to use XD2, then
up2date screaming is not relevant to you, disregard it. Follow the path
of Red Carpet.

And vise versa. If you use Red Carpet with no XD2, and not checking XD2
channel, then Red Carpet would show exactly same update packages as
up2date.

On Äet, 2003-07-24 at 18:23, D. D. Brierton wrote:
> There seem to be some packaging bugs, either at Ximian's end or Red
> Hat's end, which whilst not a problem for me could be potentially very
> confusing for newbies. Red Hat users need to use up2date to check for
> kernel (and possibly other) security updates not handled by red-carpet.
> However, on my system which has complete (i.e. *all* packages including
> devel packges) installs of both RHL9 and XD2, up2date erroneously thinks
> that I need to update several packages which I know I don't:
>
>       * db4 (this is well-known problem, in Ximian's bugzilla, but something
>         really needs to be done about the Ximian db1 vs. Red Hat db4
>         problems);
>       * control-centre;
>       * foomatic;
>       * nautilus;
>       * redhat-config-printer;
>       * xscrensaver.
>
> Now, given that Ximian's versions of control-centre, nautilus and
> xscreensaver clearly have higher version numbers than the ones up2date
> thinks I should "upgrade" to, could these Ximian packages have packaging
> bugs? Or does the fault lie with how up2date works, or with Red Hat's
> packages. It would be nice to sort this out and file bug reports in the
> appropriate places and against the appropriate products, as otherwise
> these will just spill over into RHL10. Can anyone shed any light on
> where the problems lie?
>
> Best, Darren
>
> --
> D. D. Brierton            darren@xxxxxxxxxxx          www.dzr-web.com
>        Trying is the first step towards failure (Homer Simpson)
Igor Nestorovic
University of Belgrade
Faculty of Economics
http://jung.ekof.bg.ac.yu