Re: New beta "severn"?

On 2003-07-19 at 09:57:22+0100 M A Young <m.a.young@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> A new (unreadable) directory has just appeared in the beta section
> of my local mirror of redhat's ftp server.

The interesting question, though, is whether this is the beta for the
next Red Hat Linux, or Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

Red Hat pretty much *needs* to get the next version of RHEL out before
the end of the year, as that's when RHL 7.x and 8.0 all reach EOL, and
they'd really prefer those people to upgrade to RHEL instead of RHL.
But RHEL 2.1 is pretty old at this point, and people running 7.3 and
8.0 aren't going to want to upgrade to older technology.

However, if there's a shiny new version of RHEL out in, say,
mid-October, then that's going to be very tempting for business
customers who need to upgrade from 7.x and 8.0.

As for RHL, I doubt the 2.6 kernel will be ready for prime-time by
September (we'll be lucky if it's even out of prerelease by then), but
I could very well see Red Hat including it in the next RHL as an
option (in addition to the 2.4 kernel), for testing purposes.

--
James Ralston, Information Technology
Software Engineering Institute