Error on kde/gnome startup

Hi,
every time i login to kde I get the following error:

--
There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.

Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work
correctly.

The Settings Daemon restarted too many times.

The last error message was:

Failed to activate 'OAFIID:GNOME_SettingsDaemon'

GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log
in.
--

Furthermore I cannot change any desktop control settings.
has anyone had this also, and what did he do to it?