Re: starting and stopping samba

On 5/13/2003 at 9:06 PM William Hooper wrote:

>Shane C Branch said:
>> Whenever I stop the smb server (service smb stop) smbd reports stopping
>> successfully, but nmbd fails. When I try to get status on nmbd or try to
>> stop
>> nmbd it tells me there is no such service.
>
>Yes this is true.  You know that it tries to stop when doing a "service
>smb stop", doesn't it stand to reason that "service smb start" and
>"service smb status" would also handle nmb?
>
>> Also, many times when I try to start samba, the system does not start
>nmbd
>> on
>> the first attempt, I have to repeat the command to get nmbd to start.
>>
>> What do I need to do to fix this?
>
>Lock at the log file and see why it is failing.  It is in "/var/log/samba/"
>
>> I want smb started at boot, and if nmbd
>> is
>> needed for samba to work correctly, then I want it to start|stop|restart
>> as
>> samba goes.
>
>Which is why they are part of the same script used for the smb service.
>
>--
>William Hooper
>

>--

I get that they are part of the same script, and yes that does make sense, but
only if they both start and stop when I direct smb to do so. For some reason
nmbd is failing to stop.

I checked /var/log/samba, and the log.nmbd file records this error:
failed to open nmb socket on interface x.x.x.x for port 137. error was cannot
assign requested address

This machine has two eth cards, one for external traffic and one for internal
traffic. The interal address does not appear in the log as part of the error.

also:

error: failed when creating subnet lists. exiting.

There were a few messages in there claiming that nmbd successfully started.

The log.smbd file only reports successful starts.

I should also probably mention that running testparm against my smb.conf file
does not report any errors.

regards,

shane.