starting and stopping samba

Whenever I stop the smb server (service smb stop) smbd reports stopping
successfully, but nmbd fails. When I try to get status on nmbd or try to stop
nmbd it tells me there is no such service.

Also, many times when I try to start samba, the system does not start nmbd on
the first attempt, I have to repeat the command to get nmbd to start.

What do I need to do to fix this? I want smb started at boot, and if nmbd is
needed for samba to work correctly, then I want it to start|stop|restart as
samba goes.

regards,

shane.