Re: Distributed File System Question

On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 04:12:52PM -0400, Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:
> One of my clients just opened a second office.  The current setup has
> one RH server in each office.  The two networks can talk to each other
> via a CIPE tunnel I setup.  Users can get to files in both offices, but
> some of the files are fairly large (30+MB MS Publisher files for
> example) and it can take a long time to open or even just save the
> file.
>
> What I want to do is setup a distributed file system for the following
> reasons:
> 1) There is only on file repository with files for both offices.
> 2) Files would be "local" (read cached at least) in both offices so that
> load times are better.

Hi Matt,

It sound like you are looking for a means to automatically synchronize
multiple distributed images of a file whenever any copy of the file
changes?

If you truly want to do that via your file system Intermezzo has good press
about its capabilities in that area:
http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/4368/1/

However a simpler way to go might be to use a revision control system like
CVS.

--
Jeff Kinz, Open-PC, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.  jkinz@xxxxxxxx
copyright 2003.  Use is restricted. Any use is an