Re: please excuse this: slighlty O/T (RH 7.3)

Isn't there a valhalla list to ? ;-)

My first gues would be a DNS problem; DNS lookups taking a long time could explain this..

Also you could be hacked, boot from a recue cd (with your hd mounted readonly) and compare the critical binaries (such as ps, who, w, top, lsmod, etc) with known-good ones. A clever hacker could replace the original ones with ones that would hide his processes.

If that's not it, take a look at 'top' to see if its a CPU intensive thing thats causing you to be slow, or look with 'iostat' if there's a lot of disk i/o. Also 'lsof' can tell you if there are any weird network connections or files open.

If that all fails, try seeing if normal (static) webpages are also slow; Try reading your mail thru mozilla/outlook and see if it is fast then. Are your disks almost full? Check /var/log/messages and 'dmesg' to see if there are any weird looking errors..

It's basicly a game of elimination to find what part of the whole is causing these problems. Without knowing that it's hard to tell what's wrong and how it could be fixed.

G'luck,

-- Chris

Kevin Worthington wrote:

Hi Everyone, please excuse this post, as it is not directly Shrike related.

I'm running 7.3 (Valhalla) as an intranet server (with apache, php, mysql etc), and using it to retrieve some mail via squirrelmail. Up until a couple of days ago, it was very responsive and there were no problems. Now, to process an http request it takes a few minutes. It's very strange. Retrieving messages from squirrelmail's web interface is extremely slow. The only slower process is when I view a page that fires an email off to me on a submit of a web form. This slowness especially has be baffled, since my desktop pc and the server are on the same switch. I have so far tried to see if there were any strange processes using top, and ps -A | more. I have also restarted all of my services, and had actually rebooted, the server, something that I haven't done in months. I'm pretty much out of ideas, so I'd appreciate any help.
uname -r: 2.4.18-27.7.x
cpuinfo:
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 6
model           : 3
model name      : AMD Duron(tm) Processor
stepping        : 1
cpu MHz         : 797.318
free
Mem:        497940     137140     360800          0      12260      70328
-/+ buffers/cache:      54552     443388
Swap:      1103752          0    1103752

THANKS!

----------------------------------------------------------- Kevin Worthington - <kworthington (at) linuxmail {dot} org>
Faithful Red Hat Linux user since April 1998
Registered Linux User #218689 - http://counter.li.org