yenta doesn't start with custom kernel

Hi.  I'm trying to get my 3Com AirConnect PC card working.

IBM T21 Thinkpad, Red Hat 9, updated to the 2.4.20-9 kernel.

I also have an older copy of VMware, and in order to get that working, I
recompiled a custom kernel so I could add the flag that tells vmware
there is an ECP parallel port in the system.  Now that works.

However, yenta doesn't load now (per dmesg), and no cards are
recognized.

Running cardctl provokes this message:
[root@xxxxxxx root]# cardctl status
no pcmcia driver in /proc/devices

I looked at the settings to do with PCMCIA services in the kernel
config, but didn't change anything.

Booting with the stock 2.4.20-9 kernel loads yenta, and recognizes the
card (it doesn't work, but it's recognized).

I'm not sure how to go about figuring this out.  What about recompiling
the kernel would prevent yenta from loading (and how do I coax it back
on board)?

Thanks for suggestions.

Bret

--