Re: USB and Digital Camera on Red Hat 9

As was pointed out, I didn't mention the camera type:

I am trying to connect my Canon Powershot G2 to my
Linux system via a USB port.

Red Hat 9 does not seem to be seeing my digital camera
when I connect the
camera to a USB port. (And it was working well on Red
Hat 8 with gphoto2 -- I
did a fresh install, not an upgrade.)

USB is working.  I have a Keyspan serial port device
attached to the same
system.  The Keyspan is working and I see it as:
/proc/bus/usb/001.  (And the
Keyspan is listed in /proc/bus/usb/devices)

I expect the camera to show up as /proc/bus/usb/002
(It did in RH8).
However, there are no additional entries in
/proc/bus/usb, nor any messages in
/var/log/messages after I connect the camera.  Also,
the camera is not listed
in /proc/bus/usb/devices.

The following usb drivers are loaded:
/proc/bus/usb]$ cat drivers
         usbdevfs
         hub
 96-111: hiddev
         hid
         serial

I also tried using different USB ports on my epox
8RDA+ motherboard.

Any suggestions on how to get my Linux system to see
my digital camera would
be appreciated.