Re: Linux on old sun4 architectures was: Re: RedHat 9 on oldsparc

On Mon, 2003-05-05 at 12:04, Thomas Dodd wrote:
> Raymond Lillard wrote:
> > Dear Shrike-list,
> >
> > At the risk of showing the bad taste of replying to my
> > own post, and upon further googling, I found the following
> > link which answers my original question regarding the
> > availability of RH9 on sparc.
> >
> > Ans. I ain't happening.
>
> It won't be easy any way.
> An it probably won't be very usable.
>
> Grab the last Sparc release (RHL-6.2) and install it.
> Then get the rpm updates for rpm-4.
>
> Not you can start building the packages for 7.x for the SRPMS.
> Most still have sparc option in the spec files, though it might take
> some tweaks.
>
> Once you have 7.x up, you can do the same for 8.0 and 9.
>
> I'd stick with a minimal system with devel tools at least untill you
> have the base for RHL-9 (kernel, glibc, gcc). Then you can start adding
> extras. GNOME and KDE will be too slow to use, but X with fvwm, or mwm
> is reasonable. Also GNOME and KDE don't do well on 8bit framebuffers either.

My god man, what did I ever do to you to deserve such punishment!!

> I ran RHL-6.2 on a sparc20, and it was rough. Dog slow, and the 8bit
> framebuffer was unbearable.

That's odd.  I remember back in the day, using a Sparc20 with
Solaris and a full X environment.  The machine was downright
snappy.

Seriously, this machine is intended to test a networked
application and will be run headless, i.e. no access other
than serial console and rsh.  I'm hoping I might be able to
find an old Solaris v2.[56] CDROM somewhere and install that.

Thanks to all,
Ray