Re: RH9 -- The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

On April 21, 2003 01:41 am, Linux-Lists.Red-Hat.Shrike wrote:
> See, that it is where you are wrong...  The tendency in the Linux world
> is that it is ALWAYS the users fault.  It is an attitude of "it works
> for me, wohoo!  Tough luck it doesn't work for you.  It works for me, so
> therefore, you must be stupid."  Not real friendly to new folks on the
> block around here.
>

> Lacy Moore, Project Administrator
> Moore & Moore General Contractors, Inc.
> www.mmgc.com

 ... pardon me!  But I *must* disagree with you here. I have been using
linux (Red Hat or Mandrake) since 1995. However, either I am very lucky,
or it's my attitude: I have ALWAYS found courteous, and patient help
on the linux lists that I have visited, be it the RH lists or other public
linux newsgroups.

FWIW: Here is how I proceed:

1) I search the Internet (including Google) as exhaustively as possible.

2) THEN, I post my problem with as much *detailed information as
possible on my hardware, and my procedures / techniques (even to the
point of "overstatement". Since people can't actually SEE what I may
be doing wrong, one needs to be as precise and descriptive of the problem
as possible.

3) My attitude is that I NEVER "know too much" or "everything", and
whilst I appreciate help, it is not anyone's OBLIGATION to assist me.

... I must admit, however, that POLITENESS and "common sense"
are quite a rarity in today's world.

cheers,

Elton Woo ;-)  {linux "newbie" / "dummy", and "user"}