Re: ATHLON & Shrike - *imperfect* alliance=random lockups?

At 11:17 PM 4/17/2003 -0400, you wrote:
Matt Whiteley wrote:
> I have an athlon thunderbird 1.0 also on a Abit KT7A-RAID that is having
> random lockups.  I have not been able to track it down whatsoever.

For whatever it's worth, I started having some problems with my Abit KT7-RAID (with an Athlon 900 MHz) wherein the system would lock up at unpredictable intervals. Switched my 3Com 3C905 to a Netgear, and the problems were reduced. Switched off all USB capability in the BIOS (and killed it afterwards in kudzu) and the system has been rock-solid ever since. Took me six weeks to figure out, but worked.

Moral of the story? Random lockups, if hard to reproduce by others, can often be traced to hardware in one way or another. RH9 is extremely stable on my notebook, and I am about to upgrade the Athlon/Abit box to RH9 as well the moment I have the time. I expect no trouble.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx