Re: antivirus & Shrike

On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 15:56:05 -0400, Elton Woo wrote
> On April 13, 2003 03:23 pm, J Sloan wrote:
> > Linux is the antivirus application  - installing
> > Linux  has stopped virii completely for me.
> >
> > ;-)
>
> I have firewall, and I run linux only. However, I *do* share
> files with others who do NOT use linux.
> I was hoping for something other than a smug reply.
>
> (I guess you have not heard of _ANY_ linux virii or worms, eh?).
> When it comes to security, I prefer to be "overcautious", as
> with any other aspect of safety.

I keep my system current with respect to updates. I use chkrootkit to look for
any Linux worms that may have gotten in. About the only reason to have a virus
checker on Linux would be to scan email. I have not yet done that, but may in
the future. Sharing files with others from a Linux machine ... not sure what
that might have to do with a virus checker. I suspect, however, that once the
script kiddies start thinking about the macro capabilities of evolution and
open office that we might start to see more of a need.

Unless you are doing Samba or need it for email, using a virus checker on
Linux is not going to accomplish much, IMHO.