Re: TCP & UDP Port Question

To close the open holes you can do either 2 things

1)  Find the program that is running that is leaving the ports open
2)  Run IPChains or IPTables and setup rules to disallow anyone access to those
ports

443 - Is Apache running with SSL.  Restart apache with SSL disabled:

./apachectl stop
./apachectl start

./apachectl startssl will start apache with SSL Support

Port 6000 is because you are running XFS server

./xfs stop

Port 32768 - Dunno..could be anything

try running a netstat -pant  and see if anything is listed on that port.

Hope that helps.

Staven Bruce wrote:

> I have a RedHat 8.0 box running Apache and Mailman. I am trying to make sure
> it is locked down. When I run a port scan with nmap, I find the following
> TCP ports open:
>
> 25 -- Mail
> 80 -- WWW
> 111 -- SUN RPC
> 443 -- SSL
> 515 -- spooler
> 6000 --  X Windows
> 32768 -- Filenet
>
> Now, I know I need 80 and 25 open, but can't I just close the rest? How do I
> close a specific port within the RedHat OS?
>
> One last question, the port scan also returns 81 UDP ports as open or not
> answering, should I close these as well?
>
> I would appreciate any info.....
>
> --

----
Corey Hart