bash/up2date problem

	I recently for the first time used up2date to update everything on one
of my systems (I am weary of automatically updating anything).  After
the update bash no longer recognizes the "su" command from a shell
prompt.  I've never heard of such a thing happening.  Any ideas why it
happened and how to restore it?  I thought su was a built in
command......but I think a lot of things.......and that doesn't make
them so.  It's possible I did something else unrelated to up2date
unwittingly to botch things up but I can't figure what it would have
been.

thanks,
Nick