problem with installation on AMD K3

I have just experienced a "not-exactly-stress-free" weekend following an attempt to install RH 8 (more precisely Pink Tie version 8.0) to upgrade my AMD K3 workstation (BIOS Ambios v 3.4) which has happily run RH 7.1 (Seawolf) for the last 18 months or so. All the hardware suited 7.1 fine, and never once was there a problem, so I was expecting an easy procedure.

My approach was to boot using the install cd, and use the graphical method to install a workstation. The first time around I got to choose my installation, I opted to let the installer select the partitions to format (there are 3 IDE hard drives, drive hda is a win ME drive, and hdb and hdd are drives with ext2 partitions) and I chose grub in place of lilo. There was an error like "error reading header ... cpio bad magic .. running Anaconda, the Pink Tie linux system installer ... install exited abnormally - received signal 11 .... sending termination signals", around the time the disk image was transferred, before packages started to be installed. When I tried to boot in rescue mode using the version 8 cd the same thing happened before I got a command line. I then decided to try to re-install 7.1 as a workstation, and this worked fine - I found the system was normal, and lilo worked properly.

I thought there may be a problem with the version 8.0 install cd; I cleaned it, and tried again, but the same problem occurred, only before the point where choices are made in relation to partitions. A second time I re-installed 7.1 as a workstation, which again behaved normally. I then tried to install RH 7.2, from cds which I had purchased some time ago but never bothered to install, and this caused the same errors as version 8. Again I re-installed 7.1 as a workstation, and it behaved normally.

Can any number of problems cause this, or is there some change between versions 7.1 and 7.2 that is/are likely the cause ? All the cds referred to above came from Cheapbytes.

Greg