Re: Hi

I''l try. written in win outlook. but still not very jargon good. managed one time to find the
install.log, but could not read it. Suppose it over-writes every install, bummer.

In windows, insert RH 80.0 CDRrom
shutdown windows.
startup, CDR rattles, blue screen, black bottom panel "wait". etc
get anaconda screen, choose "desktop" press next. Reads all helpscreens, no useful details.
Get dev with vfat  & ext3  5520 or so Kbytes, starts at ?sector? 727 on 12 gig Hdisc, enough before the
magical 1024 barrier warned about, past which it cannot boot and needs package poked in windows or
floppy boot. Unclicked disc C, and work in disc 2, D drive for win. Have Atapi 52X CDRom drive.
Make choice: in 6 tries went thru format, no format, auto, druid and by clicking on the option panels to
choose packages and click square option boxes versus let it get on with it as is, takes 2 hrs - a run to
fill 1.8 gig.  So have tried most all options except manual.
Get to install, click "next" when lines rattle by too fast to follow, puzzled at, in midstream, by.
"Welcome to Redhat, Press I ... etc., gone again at top of screen. In all cases KDE not installed unless
one clicks the box. KDE when installed has option in menu for command , which is the textmode.
Finish install,  when it does post install confguration which seems to also poke GRUB in Win root, which
shows after bios bootup.
1st did not even get Gnome, faced textmode, did not even know what to enter username as root, got
password.  2nd time got gnome. Tried all the items on the menu he could understand only on shutdown to
get the popup panel saying "cannot save", rest incomprehensible. No command text prompt# in menu to be
found in gnome, 2.0 I think.
Shutdown and boots up ??times, meanwhile reading the CDROM with documentation and ye olde white
"installation guide", dated 2002 .several times. Drags up details dealt with yonks ago from memory. Got
lucky  and found, not shown during installation to change from generic 3tooth mouse PS/2 to wheelmouse
PS/2. Does that and click KDE and wheelmouse 5th time of installing  at which NO mouse at all, so uses
ctl-alt-delete to shutdown as it did several times on MY machine. Furst few bootups pushed ye olde big
button on box, at which learnt, DON't, the bootup screen complains at unclean shutdown.
Reads white install guid several times, but NO HOW ro recover from things wrong, very like ye dear olde
Billy Gates helpfiles.
 Meanwhile found the various URLS to use to join various lists on REDHat, details of events best not
stated. Just a steep learning curve.
HENK suggests, after a week of this on Psyche list, re-install,
Why not so goes for re-install twice more, first no re-format, 2nd re-format as implored to do by
installation process. Has rescue floppy and 4th time opts for "RESCUE" , informed - made notes this
time, fast learner, informed
hb mounted /mnt/sysimage, next screen jump: text prompt # shell "chroot "mnt/ sysimage", Hey, must be a
directory,  "-bin /sh-2.05b #" gawps and thinks, now what? Tries typing in a few things, nothing happens
except the usual "cannot find, wrong command", etc, haha.
types in exit, press enter, warm reboots to do it again, several times, so presses  ctl-alt-backspace
again, getting rather bored with enter username.
Also gawps at bottom panel wth system, etc, and pokes at that, but NO KDE. One run got Konqueror from
HOME at left top screen, also nix works by entering various customisation details. Another time got
"setup agent" and did as told, had problems finding Pacific/auckland for clock, but finally figured that
one out. NO xfree86, no starx, and other list suggestions that ASSUME, oen IS in Redhat; nix else but
gnome one one run when KDE clicked got KDE but popup screens, when clicking on menu, TOO long vertically
to click "Next" and other wee boxes at bottom popup screen, so gives up and reinstalls & final time to
get no mouse at all, so back to ctl-alt-del again, just happened once more on last trial run.

After bootup and before username, etc several small screens, most with garbage on it, one blank, with
only  boxes for YES NO, Yes, highlighted  and clicked, see what happens: nothing he can decyphger
meaningfully. After got thru to username & password some more wee splash screens with garbage on it. One
is consistent which has, for say, 1024 x 864 pixels, at about 1 inch from the top another inch of mixed
up colours. Twice it said on screen that it would try confige again and finally dawned on him that it
wanted an 800 x 600 screen and 16 bit colours, whicyh also gave several screens of garbage, so cannot
tell what it is or should be.
Originally had windows in 1024 x 1024, but no dice, had to have 1024 x 864. SO why this one time that
another? Totally puzzled.  install 5 got the message to eneter an admin and home directory. Install only
allows generic 3 tooth mouse one has to customise later into wheel mouse package.

In between visits many Linux URLS and finds out some are ninnie pop and other expert tough, none of any
great use as none tell one how to recover from things. FAQs quite irrelevant to need in hand. Tried to
find out about compatibility of harware, no dice either. Got a few suggestions from Psyche list, better
than what Google comes up with. Can only work in windows. Found source for Bios update, only useful with
family and model nos of chips, which windows does not give. All Windows drivers are '99 dates. Found
ltmodem fixes or patches for Lucent winmodem #2, after which somebody on Psyche list suggested that.
Many URLs wildly out of date.

Computer geek friend on phone two hours, totally puzzled, that makes two of us. He's a program designer
and has many Boxes with different OS on it, plus several laptops. Designs very large programs.

IDE drives 1 gig 12 gig, Asrock SIS bios setup, AOC Spectrum 7V monitor, win modem.  wheel mouse. Intel
Pentium not sure which family and model, 1800 Mhz, 256 Kb Ram, monitor steals 64 KB, leaves 192. Has USB
PCI bus. Just discovered that the ASROCK frisbie has a v 2.0 driver, which dealer did not install. Other
bother that Bitware installed modem on com 3, which does not exist on the back panel of the box, so win
complains ' might be relevant, not sure? Win regularly complains about "cannot find modem" but it works
in Win.

Will do another tomorrow with reformat and auto-install, ready for friend to turn up, if he can squeeze
out the time to travel 80 Km from Auckland, in what Kiwi calls the wopwops. If necessary he'll hack his
way through and recompile, if he can stay long enough and after he figures out what is going on.

Will he now get a 6/10 passmark? Hab ja ueberhaupt gar genug von REDHAT 8.0.  BACH, doleful: "Ich habe
genug". But will persist. No way to decide whether it is hardware or bugs. Cannot update errata and
patches either, modem fails in Rhat, cannot customise either, patch not installed or on disc. Kernel is
2.4.18 revision.

Adrian
=====