Re: [edlug] RedHat kernel versions

On 04 Jun 2003 17:39:54 +0100 "Stephen C. Tweedie" <sct@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 15:28, Ross Macintyre wrote:
> > I'm a bit confused about the updated kernels that Redhat supplies.
> > For example they've just released these for RedHat 8.0:
> > 2.4.18-27.8.0 (on Monday)
> > 2.4.20-18.8(on Tuesday)
>
> It's a bit complicated --- the Monday push did not not include any i386
> kernels at all.  It was just an update to an existing errata to add the
> same fixes for ia64, backported to the last ia64 kernel for Red Hat
> 7.2.  The errata page at
>
>         https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2003-098.html
>
> shows all --- the x86 kernels listed there have all been superceded by
> the Tuesday push of 2.4.20-18.*, but the ia64 kernels are still valid.
>
> You just need to pay a lot of attention to the fine print in the
> advisory notices when an old advisory gets updated. :-)

Thanks for this useful bit of advice Stephen. I must admit that I don't
read ALL of the advisory notice that comes in the email. I tend to have
a quick scan of the Problem description and also look at the first line
in the Topic, and if it said that "Updated kernel packages for Red Hat
Linux 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, and 8.0 are now available" I thought that meant
all kernels had been updated, but I now see that I should read on and
it is the "Updated" bit that is important!!
But now I've got your attention, you could help me with one more thing:
could you tell me what the side effects of running a generic i686
kernel on an athlon processor would be? Up till now I have tended to
run all my lab machines with generic 386 kernels and my servers with
686 kernels and this has been fine. But my latest server is a dual
athlon machine and I must admit I just assumed I should use a
686-smp kernel as usual and it seems to be working ok! saying that I
will now install the athlon kernel and use that instead.

Cheers,
Ross

--
Ross Macintyre