Re: Transferring RedHat 8.0 to a new computer

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, Keith Winston wrote:

> Hal Watson wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> > [trimmed]
> > I would like to transfer my existing RedHat 8.0 installation to this
> > new computer by simply installing my Linux hard drive as hdb.  I'm
> > guessing that I will need to re-install GRUB somehow onto hda.
> >
> > Will this work?  Will RedHat detect any hardware changes on this new
> > system when it boots up (I'm thinking maybe the video card, modem,
> > various ports, other...) ?
>
> It is possible to install your linux disk in the new computer, reinstall
> grub on the boot sector of disk 1, and boot in to runlevel 3 (command
> prompt) but not 5.  Red Hat will likely detect many changes in your
> configuration, but it won't adjust everything automatically, especially
> with regards to video card, network card, etc.

I actually moved my RH8 from one model Dell laptop to another by just
pulling the drive out and moving it, and it very smoothly detected all new
hardware.  I did boot to runlevel 3 and ran redhat-config-xfree86, and
that worked fine too, except that it forgot it was emulating a 3-button
mouse and swapping CRTL and CAPSLOCK.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences