Re: difficulty installing enlightenment

On Sat, 24 May 2003, Katsumi Matsumoto wrote:

>I have Redhat 8 and am trying to install enlightenment and am having
>some difficulty.  I would appreciate any advise as I'm rather new at this.
>
>I have downloaded enlightenment-0.16.5-1.i386.rpm, which is located in
>/usr/local/rpm.  As root, I do:
>
># rpm -iv /usr/local/rpm/enlightenment-0.16.5-1.i386.rpm
>error: Failed dependencies:
>         fnlib >= 0.5 is needed by enlightenment-0.16.5-1
>         libFnlib.so.0 is needed by enlightenment-0.16.5-1
>         libImlib.so.1 is needed by enlightenment-0.16.5-1
>
>Now I have these libs, as I've downloaded and installed fnlib-0.5 and
>imlib-1.9.14 in /usr/local/lib.

Unless you have installed imlib RPM packages, RPM doesn't have
any knowledge that imlib even exists on your system.  RPM is
package management, and anything that is not in RPM format, by
definition is not a managed package.  Software installed via
tarballs, or compiled from source code and "make install"'d into
/usr/local or somewhere is completely unknown to RPM.

By definition, this is what package management is.  Anything not
installed via rpm packages, is not managed, and not known to
exist by rpm.

--
Mike A. Harris