Dual Head on Dell 640 ATI Radeon Mobility 7500

I'm having some problems getting dual head and Xinerama working on my Dell 640 laptop.

The attached XF86Config will give me the two displays (second display is a Dell 1024x768 LCD attached to the laptop's VGA port). The primary display has some artifacting but basically works. The secondary display is terribly artifacted, with streaky repetitions of some of the primary display's elemenets, the cursor is a square, etc. Nevertheless, I can open a terminal on the primary display, drag it to the secondary display, and use it, even if is very difficult to read.

Anyone have any suggestions? I've tried both the "ati" and "radeon" driver, and it doesn't seem to make a difference. I've tried it with the horiz and vert syncs specified, and not specified, and that doesn't make a difference either.

lspci identifies the graphics chip as "ATI Technologies inc Radeon mobility M7 LW [Radeon Mobility 7500].

I'm running Redhat 9.0; XFree86 is 4.3.0-2. I've tried it running Gnome and Windowmaker, no diff.

Hugh
--
Hugh Caley, Unix Systems Administrator
Affymetrix Inc., 510-428-8537

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "Default Layout"
	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
	InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
	InputDevice    "DevInputMice" "AlwaysCore"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier	"Dual"
	Screen     0  "Screen0" 0 0
	Screen     1  "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
	InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
	InputDevice    "DevInputMice" "AlwaysCore"
	Option	"Xinerama"
EndSection

Section "Files"
# RgbPath is the location of the RGB database.  Note, this is the name of the
# file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db").  There is normally
# no need to change the default.

# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
# By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
# the X server to render fonts.

	RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
	FontPath     "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "Module"
	Load  "dbe"
	Load  "extmod"
	Load  "fbdevhw"
	Load  "glx"
	Load  "record"
	Load  "freetype"
	Load  "type1"
	Load  "dri"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
#	Option	"Xleds"		"1 2 3"

# To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment XkbDisable.
#	Option	"XkbDisable"

# To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
# lines below (which are the defaults).  For example, for a non-U.S.
# keyboard, you will probably want to use:
#	Option	"XkbModel"	"pc102"
# If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
#	Option	"XkbModel"	"microsoft"
#
# Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
# For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
#	Option	"XkbLayout"	"de"
# or:
#	Option	"XkbLayout"	"de"
#	Option	"XkbVariant"	"nodeadkeys"
#
# If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
# control keys, use:
#	Option	"XkbOptions"	"ctrl:swapcaps"
# Or if you just want both to be control, use:
#	Option	"XkbOptions"	"ctrl:nocaps"
#
	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
	Driver      "keyboard"
	Option	    "XkbRules" "xfree86"
	Option	    "XkbModel" "pc105"
	Option	    "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Mouse0"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option	    "Protocol" "PS/2"
	Option	    "Device" "/dev/psaux"
	Option	    "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
	Option	    "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# If the normal CorePointer mouse is not a USB mouse then
# this input device can be used in AlwaysCore mode to let you
# also use USB mice at the same time.
	Identifier  "DevInputMice"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option	    "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
	Option	    "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
	Option	    "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
	Option	    "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Monitor0"
	VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
	ModelName    "Dell 1400x1050 Laptop Display Panel"
#	DisplaySize  300	220
#	HorizSync    31.5 - 90.0
#	VertRefresh  59.0 - 75.0
	Option	    "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Monitor1"
	VendorName   "Dell"
	ModelName    "Dell 1503FP (Analog)"
#	DisplaySize  300	220
#	HorizSync    30 - 60
#	VertRefresh  60 - 75
	Option	    "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "Videocard0"
	#Driver      "radeon"
	Driver	"ati"
	VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
	BoardName   "ATI Radeon Mobility 7500"
	VideoRam    32768
	Option	"DDCMode"	"On"
	Screen	0
	BusID	"PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "Videocard1"
#	Driver      "radeon"
	Driver	"ati"
	VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
	BoardName   "ATI Radeon Mobility 7500"
	VideoRam    32768
	Option	"DDCMode"	"On"
	Screen	1
	BusID	"PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen0"
	Device     "Videocard0"
	Monitor    "Monitor0"
	DefaultDepth    24
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth    24
		Modes    "1400x1050" "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen1"