[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Google
  Web www.spinics.net

Re: Installing XFree86 4.3 on RHL 7.3



On 17 May 2003, Philippe Moutarlier wrote:

> Ok, I think I would like to give my 2 cents about this (and the rest
> BTW).
> 
> 
> 
> Using XFree86 sources also destroys your RPM package managment
> > and dependancy resolution mechanisms, and will also make upgrades
> > to newer releases of the OS fail due to the different location 
> > that files are placed in between the RPM packages and the stock 
> > XFree86.org installation locations.
> 
> 
> As much as I agree with the previous post from Mike (the "LONG ONE" (tm)
> :-) , I find this situation with respect to original source usage a
> little annoying. 

Why?? Either you want to use a package manager or you do not. You cannot have
it both ways. The idea behind a package manager is that things are supposed
to be taken care of for you. If you want to bypass the package manager and
it breaks you get to keep the pieces. There are NO guarantees that anything
under the control of a package managment system will look anything like the
upstream source. Have you ever looked at the Red Hat Kernel as opposed to
the linus kernel tree?? They are not even close. I am sure there is some very
good reason for the files being placed as they are (maybe for FHS compliance??).
I do not know.

> I think the stock versions of anything like kernels, Xfree etc should be
> usable by people who want to be on the bleeding edge without breaking
> the architecture of the system. This means that Redhat or whoever
> distributes them should keep the 'structure' as identical to the
> original as possible. Of course, things can still break because we are
> on the bleeding edge and we better know what it means. But why is Redhat
> insisting on putting under Xfree86/lib file which don't belong there in
> the original version ?   

Bleeding edge implies that you know what you are doing. If you do not you
should not be playing on the bleeding edge or at least not complaining when
somehing does not work like you think it should. I am sure that the guys from
Red Hat do not move files around just to keep you from using the original
source. If you want to use the original source for any package rpm -e the
package or packages you want to replace and install from source. That is not
easy you say, well no one said it was going to be easy. In fact it is almost
guaranteed to be painful, that is why package managers were invented. :-)

Enjoy,

-- 
.............Tom	"Nothing would please me more than being able to 
tdiehl@xxxxxxxxxxxx	hire ten programmers and deluge the hobby market 
			with good software." -- Bill Gates 1976

   			We are still waiting ....


_______________________________________________
xfree86-list mailing list
xfree86-list@xxxxxxxxxx
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/xfree86-list
IRC: #xfree86 on irc.redhat.com

[Home]     [Red Hat General]     [Red Hat Watch List]     [Red Hat Development]     [Kernel List]     [Hot Springs]     [Yosemite News]

Powered by Linux