Re: early review of RH 9 (Shrike)

Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@xxxxxxxx> wrote :

> On Sunday 30 March 2003 15:23, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> > Sure.  But I think anyone is a fool if they don't honestly
> > acknowledge what the major usage of MP3 is for.  People may deny
> > it to prove their point, but then there is a reality behind all
> > of that that proves otherwise.
>
> MP3 is used in many more venues than just piracy of copyrighted works.
> Many internet radio streams are MP3 (shoutcast and icecast both support
> mp3 streaming).  RHL 9 can't play those streams.  Well, actually, it
> can't play Real streams, either; or Windows Media streams either....
>
> I often receive public service announcements for the radio station in MP3
> form via e-mail.  It's a drag to have to reboot to use Cool Edit Pro to
> unrip to wav for the automation system (which has a couple hundred gig of
> wav's for the air signal).

Hmmmm, Red Hat Linux can't play mp3 files _by default_... but until
recently (well, I'm not even sure about the current situation) neither did
Windows, you had to download a codec or some software to do so.
So just consider it's the same on Red Hat Linux: You have the base system
that's entirely free and open, then you can do what you want, even crazy
things like using patent-covered programs, non-free software etc.

If you need/want the ability to play mp3, Windows Media, real etc. files,
just install what you need to do so, it's all available somewhere, just not
directly inside Red Hat Linux, for perfectly understandable reasons.

Most are available from my website (xmms-mp3, mplayer, xine):
http://freshrpms.net/

Yes, I watch those silly .exe flash animations friends send through email
(thanks to wine), yes, I also play those .mp3 files I encoded a few years
ago (thanks to xmms-mp3), yes, I can watch those even sillyer commercials
people send me in .wm* format (thanks to mplayer)... although, I'd prefer
using only open or free file formats.

Matthias

Red Hat Linux release 8.0.9x (Phoebe) running Linux kernel 2.4.20-2.54
Load : 0.07 0.28 0.35, AC on-line, battery charging: 100% (5:39)