Re: early review of RH 9 (Shrike)

William Hooper wrote:

If I remember my history correctly, Red Hat removed mp3 support at the same time Thomson changed their website and removed the line that stated that you can give away an app.

That event highlighted the fact that MP3 technology was patented, and made some people realize that the GPL didn't allow for distribution of such a product. Since all of the common MP3 software for Linux was GPL'd, there isn't a legal way to distribute it in locations where the MP3 patent is valid.