2.6 Kernel and IDE dierect for burners

Jesse Keating wrote:

> On Thursday 27 March 2003 20:26, Audioslave - 7M3 - Live uttered:
> > Thanks for pointing out my mis-interpretation. I was reading in that IDE
> > was used to burn the CDs. I've ripped oggs from my reader and never
> > thought about the issue. Never using the ide-scsi module.
> >
> > This was really directed at figuring out on how to keep cdrs from
> > accumulating a lot of additional garbage, in my case. I have an ogg CDR
> > that had so many errors and timeouts within the CD,I thought that a
> > specific and dedicated driver for the burner might add to the burn
> > quality of the CDs that I have burned.
> >
> > Maybe a /dev/cdbr or similar device needs to be developed. Even if it is
> > an incorporated driver from ide-scsi driving the ide driver. There would
> > be a tighter control for better burning of discs.
> >
> > I'm in favor of some sort of "traffic cop", to prevent other processes
> > from attempting to interfere with the burning cd process.
>
> Kernel 2.6 should be better about this, and will allow for cdburning w/out
> using the SCSI emulation.  You'll be able to burn straight to a ide dev
> point.

Thanks for the feedback regarding the advancements with the 2.6 kernel.. It
sounds like the IDE direct access for use with the cd burner is what I am
after here. the scsi emulation does not work very well, in my instance,
anyway. Having a true device mount point, instead of emulation /dev/sg for
burning and /dev/scd for reading , tthrough the emulation, seems to be
corrupting the data that is written via the emulation.

I hope 2.6 gets out soon.  I hope the work in the 2.5 development level are
making progress with the IDE mount point.

Jim