Re: What do you want? What are you willing to pay? [was Re: Correct me if I'm wrong]

Er just to interject here..

IBM AIX and a bespoke closed source CRM system tallies up support costs to
our company of over £20,000 a year...

B movies, Mexican bandits, ponchos and cheroots aside I don't think it's
that bad a deal for a RedHat license by any stretch of the imagination.

I've had to prove the point with departmental servers for over 4 years now
running RedHat. It's been a major education to all concerned and the
feedback from non-IT people - (suprisingly) is positive for one reason -
Reliability.

AIX and the CRM system are pretty stable but at what cost? The service
agreement is support within 10 minutes. This usually drags out to about an
hour for non run of the mill problems. Previous Microsoft departmental
servers were exasperatingly unreliable and it was a constant fire-fighting
scenario. So I made my choice four years ago and never regretted it for a
minute.

The big thing looming on the horizon is the take up of those £20,000 a year
contracts for SME's like ours. There's any amount of them to be had for
companies that can't afford an IT department but need reliable, on-going IT
services.

Vital stats:-
http://www.cabinet-office.gov.uk/innovation/2001/futures/attachments/Briefin
gSmallBusiness.pdf

I think all the arguments stand for themselves and if they don't see the
benefits of opensource then you can't beat it into them.