RE: early review of RH 9 (Shrike)

On Thu, 2003-03-27 at 11:09, Todd.Booher@xxxxxx wrote:
> Upholding the spirit of open source is one thing.  Becoming a
> profitable business is another.  I understand the philosophical
> reasons behind their decision, I just hope it doesn't come at
> the cost of eventually going out of business because they continue
> to fail becoming profitable.

They seem to be doing a pretty good job as it is:
http://www.redhat.com/about/presscenter/press/2003/press_q4fy2003/

Red Hat has yet to set their sights on the "casual desktop" market -
they've decided it's in their best interests to focus their resources on
what will support their business over the long-term. So far they're
being successful. The coming quarter will give an indication if they've
made the right move with the two-tier enterprise push.

MP3/DVD/etc support is not a deal-breaker for most corporate desktops,
or even small-office settings. We're looking at switching our 20-seat
office over to Linux in a couple of months, and our owner would prefer
the users to *not* have mp3 capabilities (or ogg, for that matter -
downloading music is verboten in the company policies). I'm probably
going to recommend RH 9, as their approach to the desktop and
application choice is a better fit for our environment than most of the
other distros I've been looking at.

Michael Knepher <limbo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>