Re: RHL 9 - concerns

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 16:57:26 -0800, you wrote:

>On Wednesday 26 March 2003 16:43, Randall J. Parr wrote:
>> Are you saying that the annual subscription for RH Enterprise Linux ES
>> is $349/yr?
>>
>> That is, the 5 year cost is $349 (90 days) + 5 * $349 (next five years
>> subscription)?
>
>No, I was once told that the price was like that of the old Red Hat Linux
>Advanced Server license cost.  You paid some $800 for the OS, this includes a
>one year RHN subscription.  Subsequent yearly subscriptions were the same
>price, $800 a year.  See, with RHLAS and I'm assuming again for RHEL you
>aren't paying for the OS, you are paying for the RHN account associated with
>that OS.
>
>Anybody, feel free to correct me (like you wouldn't feel free already).

Can anyone either confirm or deny this?

The pricing page for RHEL does include the phrase "Annual Subscription
Pricing" which would seem to indicate you are correct.

But if it is indeed an additional ($349/$799/etc. depending on
version) a year in order to get errata then that will get expensive
quick.

Almost $1,000 for RHEL ES for 3 years of use will remove Red Hat from
consideration in a lot of places (while conceding that some large rich
companies will be happy to pay it).