Re: RHL 9 - concerns

On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 03:12:01PM -0500, Gerald Henriksen wrote:
> ** By releasing a WS product based on obsolete products (Gnome 1.4)
> Red Hat has ensured that the 5 year support time frame is a joke
> because few prospective customers will be able to use WS for 5 years
> without moving to Gnome2, thus forcing an additional purchase of WS
> inside our hypothetical 4 year planning period.

FWIW, I believe at least some of the subscriptions come with upgrades
built in (they are subscriptions to Enterprise Linux not to a
particular version of it). If this isn't spelled out properly on the
web site, if you call or email sales they could tell you definitively.

The GNOME problem is a transient one, we'll have a new version of
Enterprise Linux out at some point.

If we have a 12-18 month lifecycle (and a stable product at the
beginning of that lifecycle), toward the end of the 12-18 months the
software will be at least 12-18 months behind the latest. GNOME 2 came
out June 2002 so is only 9 months old.

That's why we have both Red Hat Linux and Red Hat Enterprise Linux, so
people can make that tradeoff as they see fit. People who historically
only used ".2" releases will probably want to use Red Hat Enterprise
Linux.

You can probably expect marketing to fine-tune the exact variants of
each product, what they include, pricing, etc. over time in response
to feedback and sales.
http://www.redhat.com/about/contact/ has links for where to send
comments.

Havoc