Re: Q: RH enterprise products license

Hello,
On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 08:10:44PM +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> The licence does not restrict your rights in distributing, copying
> or modifying the GNU GPL'ed software.
>
> However, certain actions can violate your RHEL licence agreement.
> One of them is installing and running RHEL products on machines
> without a subscription. Else you could cheat on Red Hat and use
> software and support services with one subscription for multiple
> systems.
/me is in a maze of twisty little packages, all different.

* The kernel and quite a few other packages are licensed under GPL.
* Customer buys one subscription of RHEL.
* Customer gets the kernel package and others, licensed under GPL.
* Customer is allowed by GPL to install kernel and other packages
  on a different machine under GPL, Red Hat can not revoke this.
  Indeed, the customer is allowed to install and *redistribute*
  his RHEL image as granted by the EULA: (modulo JVM)
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux itself is a collective work under U.S.
> Copyright Law. Subject to the trademark use limitations set forth
> below, Red Hat grants Customer a license in this collective work
> pursuant to the GNU General Public License.
* If the customer installs RHEL on a different computer, it constitues
  a breach of the Subscription Agreement.

So, are these conclusions correct?
* Customer is allowed to install RHEL on any number of machines
  he wants, but this constitutes a breach of Service agreement and
  results in paying a penalty if the customer is audited.
* Customer is allowed to redistribute RHEL without any "consequences".
* Customer is allowed to install and use RHEL without ever accepting
  the Subscription Agreement, assuming he can get a copy.

Thanks.
	Mirek