Re: redhat-config-packages (il)logic?

On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 14:55, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 01:53:42PM -0500, Jef Spaleta wrote:
> > Thoughts?
>
> There's no deliberate policy decision here afaik, it's just a
> limitation of the app as currently implemented.

Fair enough...I'd like to request that a consistant policy on how to
handle 3rd party packages with the gui tools get placed on the radar at
some point in the future. My easily ignorable suggestions are:

Either lock down the gui package installer, so its smart enough to know
what is and is not a redhat package, and will prevent you from
installing 3rd party packages (without some coaxing atleast, i shouldnt
just be able to right click in nautilus and install an rpm from a random
location, if package security is really something Redhat wants to make
an issue that up2date is there to solve).

Or have the Remove/Install package view be smart enough to know what
isn't a redhat package (okay well not in the redhat-rpmdb maybe) so that
all the oddball packages users have installed with r-c-packages are
atleast listed somewhere (like an new "OddBall Package" catagory)

-jef