Re: Sendmail update

Chris Chabot wrote:

.. "Reads the huge warning before you install a beta" ..

Hmmm, don't run on a production machine or anything else you would want or expect to 'work'.. I gues from that perspective it would be incredibly stupid if everyone would go out and install phoebe on these internet connected mail servers... Mind you, sendmail is configured by default to only accept connections from localhost, so a default install can not be compromised. So you would have to install a beta, on a internet (production) server, and then enable sendmail for the outside worlds, and _then_ you are vunerable

Sorry, but if that is 'responsible for bringing the internet to its knees', then we seriously need to re-educate the sysadmins of the world

And hey, if in the remote chance you have a valid reason for putting a beta os online, why don't you just download the rh8 sendmail updates and install those? (rpm -Uvh --oldpackage sendmail-*.i386.rpm). If thats beyond the capacity of the sysadmin, the box shouldnt be online in the first place ;-)

-- Chris

Chuck Davis wrote:

Hi Mike:

I'm going to play devil's advocate here.

How can you get a good beta test unless people use the packages included in the beta? If, for instance, I don't put the beta on line to see how Sendmail works in the product (and I haven't though I would like to) then you have essentially not had a beta test. If I put it on line and Sendmail has a huge vulnerability as was discovered this week then I am liable for the consequences. RedHat has an OBLIGATION to provide such security updates to beta products if you want beta testers to test betas. Otherwise RH could be as guilty as MS of providing fodder to bring the inet to its knees.

Opinions expressed are those of a small businessman.

Chuck Davis