Re: please bring back program suffix for autoconf bin files

Dan Kegel <dank@kegel.com> writes:

> Dan Kegel wrote:
> > The .spec file for autoconf contains the Changelog entry
> > * Mon Nov 18 2002 Jens Petersen <petersen@redhat.com>
> > 2.56-1
>
> > - do not version suffix bin files for now
> > However, I have been assuming that there are suffixes on
> > the bin files,
>
> > and my life would be easier if they came back.

The main reason for doing this was that autoconf-2.53 was
appearing in spec files and this breaks of course everytime
the Autoconf version is up'ed.  So the thinking is: use
"/usr/bin/autoconf" for the moving newer version and
"/usr/bin/autoconf-2.13" for the old static one.  I did put
the idea forward upstream about adding API versioning to
Autoconf like Automake has had since 1.6, but there was no
response unfortunately. :-|  It's anyway really too late to
make such a change for the coming release now, but I guess
there is nothing to stop you from making the symlink
yourself. :)

> BTW, automake in Phoebe *does* seem to have the kind of
> suffixes I want, so it's just autoconf that's missing it
> currently.

Yep, because it comes from upstream - since Automake 1.6
there has been API versioning in Automake.

Jens