Re: How can I mount my smart media/compact flash reader?

Jef Spaleta wrote:
On Mon, 2003-02-24 at 10:57, Gerry Tool wrote:

I have a Soyo USB storage device which is recognized by Phoebe 3, but
don't know how to mount it.

It should show up as a scsi hardrive, methinks. /dev/sd[a,b,c,d,e...etc] akin to how yer ide hardrives are
/dev/hd[a,b,c,d..etc]

What I'm still confused about is how multiple usb storage devices are
detected and given /dev listings. If i plugin in my flash reader first,
the my usb hardrive second... then by following the first come first
server rule...flash reader is sda and harddrive is sdb. But when I
reboot...how the hell does the logic work? What is to prevent the system
from seeing the usb hardrive first and the flash reader second? And
where do I go to be sure I know which is which? I know I can see the
devices down in /proc/scsi....but its still unclear to be how to know
which device is /dev/sda and which device is /dev/sdb by looking at the
info down in /proc/scsi.

now..if kudzu is behaving correctly it should create an fstab entry and
a mount point for you...i think. I don't understand how kudzu and
hotplug work together to handle mountpoints. I think kudzu found my
flash card reader and made the mountpoint...i keep meaning to retest
that while I'm not completely drunk.
-jef
I waas investigating my problem for my CD writer. Your mention of the flash reader made me curious about what scsi device my CD-writer is supposed to be symlinked to.

Here is what /proc/scsi/scsi printed out. What device type should I use to see if I can mount the burner? I've tried several different devices, device numbers, etc. But It is still only recognized sucessfully, by mount, as /dev/hdd. (recognized, but not mountable)
For me, I just use the reader to access CDROMs. I can use the burner to sucessfully burn CDs though. But I doubt that this problem with mount and the cdroms is supposed to be there.

Jim

[root@scsi-woes scsi]# cat scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
Vendor: SanDisk Model: ImageMate 6 in 1 Rev: 0.0>
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
Vendor: ATAPI Model: CD-R/RW 12X8X32 Rev: 9.EB
Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02