Re: web security

On Thu, May 27, 2010 6:35 am, Fred Grant wrote:
> I use the modem lights  to show modem activity.  Sometimes the lights
> indicate that I am receiving a great deal of data (red color activity)
> even though I have shut down email and web browser.  I use the standard
> firewall and CentOS 5.
>
> I'd like to know which files, if any, are being written to and if there
> are better firewalls that could be used.

Might I recommend using tcpdump against the inbound (outside) nic and see
what traffic is actually moving across the pipe. (man tcpdump is your
friend)

Then, post what you find out.

Karl

---
Karl Pearson
Karlp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Owner/Administrator of the sites at
http://ourldsfamily.com
---
"To mess up your Linux PC, you have to really work at it;
 to mess up a microsoft PC you just have to work on it."
---
 Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have
 for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
 --Benjamin Franklin
---
 Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually
 repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.
---