Package Manager Question

Hi all,

I use Fedora on my server (email, web, etc.) and have been using Linux
Mint on my desktop and laptop.

I've noticed something that has caused me to ask this question. First,
what I've noticed:

When I update a package using that package's 'Check For Update' feature on
the Help menu (Virtualbox is a prime example), Linux Mint, which uses
dpkg, the debian package manager, automatically updates the repository
indexes on my PC and shows the package installed when I run Synaptic.

I don't remember YumX ever doing this, or any other RPM front-end, or rpm
itself from the commandline. If I didn't install a package from the
repositories, rpm didn't know it was there.

Do you know if this has been "fixed" (if it's actually broken)?

I'm going to install a new server with CentOS soon, and have toyed with
the idea of using it as my workstation OS as well.

Thoughts?

TIA,

---
Karl Pearson
Karlp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Owner/Administrator of the sites at
http://ourldsfamily.com
---
"To mess up your Linux PC, you have to really work at it;
 to mess up a microsoft PC you just have to work on it."
---
 Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have
 for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
 --Benjamin Franklin
---
 Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually
 repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.
---