Re: RHEL PDC

Lupo, Kelly wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-install-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:redhat-install-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Waldher, Travis R
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2009 9:59 AM
To: Getting started with Red Hat Linux
Subject: RE: RHEL PDC

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-install-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:redhat-install-
list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Lupo, Kelly
Sent: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 8:49 PM
To: redhat-install-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RHEL PDC

Are there any Liux-newb-friendly guides for setting up a primary
domain controller using RHEL of any version (or any RH-based distro -
at this point I'll take what I can get), beginning from the install of
the OS, and going all the way through to configuring Samba, LDAP, etc? There are quite a few just for setting up Samba and such for a server
with Linux already on it, but I was looking more for something that
began at the beginning; which packages need to be selected for install and such.
(Hopefully nipping any dependency issues before they crop up...)

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
I am attempting to get LDAP setup now and went for the GUI approach.

I'll let you know when I get this working. The LDAP part is supposedly working, but I was going for a GUI to manage LDAP (command line LDAP is cumbersome) and landed in a GLIB/GTK compiling nightmare. Seems you can't compile GTK without first upgrading GTK, which means compiling GTK, which I can't because.... My desk has a forehead sized dent in it now.

Lol, I don't envy you in that one. Last time I had that type of situation, I gave up and started over; please let me know if you fix it a different way, though!
The only thing I can think of, would be to boot a liveCD of the same distro, compile it there, transfer to USB drive, and hope it worked on the main one...  I'm not too sure how effective that would be though...

If you need an LDAP GUI client, I'd recommend GQ. Webmin also has reasonable LDAP tools, both as a client and to manage the server.