Re: New Monitor

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 10:36 AM, Brenda Radford <brkittycat@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-install-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:redhat-install-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bob McClure Jr
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 9:29 PM
To: Getting started with Red Hat Linux
Subject: Re: New Monitor

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 08:48:29PM -0500, Brenda Radford wrote:

> [...]
> want to boot (it's probably already selected).
>
> 3. Press "E" (for "Edit").  You'll be shown a couple of lines of text.
>
> 4. Use the up/down arrow keys to select the line that starts with the
> word "kernel".
>
> 5. Press "E" again and that line of text will be displayed for editing.
>
> 6. Press the "End" key on your keyboard or use the right arrow key to
> get to the end of the line.
>
> 7. Add " text" OR " 3" (that's a space and the word "text" OR a space
> and the digit "3") to the end of the line.  Do NOT include the quotes.
> The end of the line should look something like:
>
>       rhgb quiet text
> or
>       rhgb quiet 3
>
> 8. Press the "ENTER" key to save the line.
>
> 9. Press "B" to boot the kernel with the changes.
>
> Note that these changes are only temporary and will work for THIS boot.
> If you reboot, you'll have to do this again.
>

> >> I hope it is not DOA. It was working a couple of months ago. I did not
> have
> >> the money to renew my Red Hat Academic subscription until today, and I
> was
> >> hoping to get the box updated.
>
> We'll get it sorted.  It's difficult to diagnose remotely and on a
> mailing list to boot, but we've done far more arcane things here!  :-)
>
> >> Thanks to all you guys; I hope I answered all your questions. I love
this
> >> install list.
>
> If you could, Brenda, try not to top post.  It makes following the
> logic of the messages difficult.  It's better to place your comments
> and responses below what you're commenting on (as we try to do).
>
> Windows mail clients default to top posting, but nothing says you HAVE
> to put your response there.  Just use the arrow keys to scroll down to
> where you want to put your comment and do it your way.

> - Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                      ricks@xxxxxxxx -
> - AIM/Skype: therps2        ICQ: 22643734            Yahoo: origrps2 -
> -                                                                    -
> -     Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.      -
>
> I opened up the case and reseated the memory and made sure the hard drive
> was plugged in properly and reconnected the floppy drive (I think the
cable
> was on backwards; I seem to remember that makes the light stay on) and
fired
> it up again and got it working with the new monitor. I went into grub,
> changed it to text, and pressed B to boot the kernel with the changes.
> Then I got these error messages:
>
> VFS: can't find ext 3 filesystem on dev dm-0
> mount: error 22 mounting ext 3
> mount: error 2 mounting none
> switchroot: mount failed: 22
> umount/initrd/dev failed: 2
> Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
>
> This cannot be good. Something is wrong with the hard drive, is that what

Well, the drive's not totally toast, since it booted partway, but one
of the filesystems is in a hurting status.

> FYI, I was able to boot with Knoppix.

Is that a live CD?  If so, you can do some poking around, starting
with:

 fdisk -l # that's "ell", not one
 lvscan

The first will find all the physical partitions.  The next will find
all the logical volumes.  Let us know what they report.

For each of the partitions listed as a Linux (type 83) filesystem, run

 e2fsck /dev/hdax # where "x" is the partition number

For each of the LVs (if any), run

 e2fsck /dev/<vgname>/<lvname>

Make a note of which one(s) ha(ve|s) problems.

If you still have your distribution disks, boot with Disc 1, and at
the Boot: prompt, put "linux rescue".

When it asks about networking, tell it no.  When it offers to mount
any filesystems, tell it "continue" (i.e. make it so).  Some of the
mounts will probably fail, but if any succeed, you can

 chroot /mnt/sysimage

The do a

 cat /etc/fstab

and report the results.

Don't know what more to suggest until we get that information.  At
that point, you can

 exit # or Ctrl-D out of the chroot shell
 exit # or Ctrl-D, yes, again, to reboot

After it says something about "rebooting", let it roll to see if
something wonderful happens, or just shut it down.

> Thanks
> Brenda

Cheers,
--
Bob McClure, Jr.             Bobcat Open Systems, Inc.
bob@xxxxxxxxxxxx             http://www.bobcatos.com

fdisk -l

Device  boot    start   end     ID      system

/dev/hde1       *       1       13      83      Linux
/dev/hde2               14      9729    8e      Linux LVM

lvscan

inactive        /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00        [72.62GB]       inherit
inactive        /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01        [1.75GB]        inherit

e2fsck /dev/<vgname>/<lvname>
      /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
        /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01
I got this error message for both:

No such file or directory while trying to open
filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2 file
system (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock is
corrupt and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
E2fsck -b 8193 <device>

Linux rescue gave me this:
You don't have any Linux partitions.

The chroot /mnt/sysimage
And cat /etc/fstab also failed. No such file or directory

Nothing wonderful happened when it rebooted.

Now what do I do? Do I have to start over with a fresh install?
This reminds me of a blue screen in Windows. I had one of those last
January.

Thanks,
Brenda

Bob or Rick may have a different take. I say if you have nothing to lose
then why not do a fresh install. Still in reviewing this post it seems some
part of the file systems is hosed. If a recovery option exists, as a tech-guy
I would pursue it just for the learning experience. From a sys admin point of
view with the goal of having a running box do a fresh install. Assuming no
data or apps are needed from the existing install.

--
Ted Potter
tpotter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx